Spicy Italian Style Bread Pudding
Updated: Feb 23
A perfect way to use up stale bread and create a tasty dinner.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation time is approximately 10 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 60 minutes
200g stale bread, cut into cubes
30g finely grated parmesan cheese
2 red onions cut into wedges
1 pepper, diced
1 chilli pepper
125g mozzarella ball
3 teaspoons red pesto
1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
How to make Spicy Italian Style Bread Pudding
1. Preheat oven to 230°C (Gas mark 8 or 210°C for a fan oven).
2. Place onions, pepper and chilli pepper in a deep baking tray and cook in oven for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and remove seeds from chilli pepper and roughly chop.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 200°C (Gas mark 6 or 190°C for a fan oven) but leave it on.
5. Place the cubed bread in the same baking tray and sprinkle over vegetables, rosemary (if using) and mozzarella.
6. Measure milk into a jug; crack in eggs, add pesto and season well with salt and pepper then whisk well until completely combined.
7. Pour milk and egg mixture over ingredients in baking tray taking care to try and coat all of the bread.
8. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Serve with vegetables or a side salad.
HINTS & TIPS
You could substitute the Parmesan with cheddar cheese (but add an extra 20g).
If you aren’t a fan of chilli, it is absolutely fine to leave it out!
Make this pudding ‘Greek’ style by substituting mozzarella with feta cheese and use dried oregano instead of rosemary.
Please click HERE to see Cooking Good’s statement on allergens and substitutions within recipes.
Don’t forget to look at our useful articles on a variety of family topics including batch cooking, leftovers, hydration, fussy eaters and more! Here is the LINK.