Ratatouille – 2 Ways!!
Updated: May 22, 2022
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation time is approximately 5 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 25-30 minutes
6 (total) Red, Yellow and Green Peppers – seeds removed, and flesh cut into chunks
2 Aubergines – cut into chunks
3 Courgettes / Pumpkin / other squash – cut into chunks
2-3 Onions (I like red ones) – peeled and cut into chunks
Garlic – 4 to 6 cloves, peeled and sliced
Tomatoes – I like 2 packs of cherry tomatoes or 12 large tomatoes cut into chunks
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Paprika or chilli powder or flakes (optional)
Olive Oil – about 3 tbsp
Balsamic Vinegar (optional) – about 2 tbsp
Herbs – Fresh rosemary/thyme/oregano if you have, or mixed dried herbs otherwise.
2 Cans of chopped tomatoes or a large bottle of passata (stove-top method) or to make it saucier if you do the oven method.
How to make Ratatouille - 2 ways
Oven Method: – Easy and uses less energy if the oven is on for something else!
1. Toss all the prepared ingredients together and distribute across 2-3 large trays so that they’re in a single layer.
2. Roast in a pre-heated oven at 180/190 Degrees C for approx..45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and just starting to colour/crisp on the edges. Rotate tray after 25 minutes for even cooking.
3. If you like a “saucier” ratatouille, some canned chopped tomatoes can be added 10 minutes before the end.
1. Warm some olive oil in a large saucepan/heat-safe casserole dish
2. Gently fry the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients and stir until simmering.
4. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. (approx.. 40 minutes)
5. Taste and season.
HINTS & TIPS
Stir in some halved olives. Crumble some feta on top. Serve on pasta.
Add some cooked beans such as butter or cannellini beans to increase the fibre and protein content.
Liquidise/ blitz to make a delicious pasta sauce – all those lovely “hidden” veg!!
Top with a fillet of white fish and bake in the oven in a parcel or covered with foil.
Finish off under the grill topped with breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
Use to make a chicken or tuna pasta bake.