Updated: Feb 19
A delicious family meal that is easy to cook and a real family favourite!
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation time is approximately 10 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 25 minutes
· 300g dried macaroni
· 2 leeks, finely sliced
· 30g butter
· 40g plain flour
· 1 pint of milk
· 150g cheddar, grated
· 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
· Salt and black pepper
· ½ tsp English mustard powder/1 teaspoon mustard (optional)
How to make Macaroni Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas mark 6 or 180°C for a fan oven).
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the macaroni. Cook for 5 minutes then drain.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the leeks. Cook gently for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk little by little, stirring constantly, then cook gently for 5 minutes. Continue to stir until the sauce is thickened.
4. Add the mustard if using then remove from the heat. Stir in the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce, stir to combine then pour into a large ovenproof dish (2 litre capacity).
6. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and bake for 25 minutes until golden-brown.
Serve the Macaroni Cheese with peas or green beans.
HINTS & TIPS
You can swap leeks with spring onions if you prefer or even add other veg, like green beans, carrots or broccoli, to the cheese sauce.
Cubes of ham also work well in this recipe!
Please click HERE to see Cooking Good’s statement on allergens and substitutions within recipes.
Don’t forget to look at our useful articles on a variety of family topics including batch cooking, leftovers, hydration, fussy eaters and more! Here is the LINK.