Chicken Pesto Skewers
Updated: Jul 16, 2022
Fancy something tasty but ‘light’ for dinner, this is a winner and can be a great way to use up that half jar of pesto in the fridge.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation time is approximately 20 minutes
Marinating Time is approximately 1 hour
Cooking time is approximately 15 minutes
· 1 lemon (rind and juice)
· 2 cloves garlic
· salt and fresh pepper to taste
· 3 tbsp olive oil
· ½ jar of green or red pesto
· 500g skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
· 12 cherry tomatoes
· 2 courgettes halved lengthways and thickly sliced (1-inch wide)
· 2 onions cut into x6 slices per onion
· 12-16 wooden skewers
How to make Chicken Pesto Kebabs
1. Mix the juice and rind of the lemon, chopped or crushed garlic cloves, olive oil, half jar of pesto and salt and pepper in a large dish.
2. Add the chopped chicken and combine the mixture with the chicken until the chicken is well-covered.
3. Cover with a lid or clingfilm and place in a fridge for one hour to marinate.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas mark 6 or 180°C for a fan oven).
5. Chop the other vegetables and soak the wooden skewers in warm water (it prevents them from burning in the oven).
6. Make up the skewers with a mix of chicken and vegetables. Put them on a baking tray and in the oven for 15 minutes (or longer if the chicken is not cooked through).
7. Serve with rice.
HINTS & TIPS
- You can also make these as vegetable kebabs – just marinade different vegetables such as butternut squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, aubergine. So many to try!
- These make great leftovers and can be eaten cold or used for kids lunches (minus the skewer).
- Lighten Up – Serve the chicken pesto skewers with a large salad and no rice.