Chicken Noodle Soup
Updated: Oct 6, 2021
A perfect way to use up leftover chicken and even use the carcass to make the stock!
Makes approximately 4 - 6 servings
Preparation time is approximately 10 - 15 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 60 minutes
1 chicken carcass (and any bones and left over juices)
2 celery sticks
1 bay leaf
2 litres water
1 stock cube
For the soup:
1 celery stick
5 spring onions
150g rice noodles
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
How to make Chicken Noodle Soup
1. Put the chicken carcass and any bones and juices into a large saucepan (you may need to break the carcass down to fit in the pan).
2. Roughly chop the carrot, onion and celery and add to the pan along with the stock cube.
3. Add the rest of the stock ingredients and put the pan on a high heat and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer for at least an hour, removing any scum with a spoon.
5. Drain the liquid into another pan using a sieve and leave the chicken carcass to cool.
6. When cool enough to handle pick the meat off the carcass and bones and add back to the pan with the stock, throw away the bones, skin and vegetables.
7. Chop the other carrots and celery into small pieces and add to the pan, simmer for 5 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
8. Finely chop the spring onion and add to the pan along with the soy sauce.
9. Break the noodles into the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes (they will continue to cook while you serve).
10. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: Delicious with wholemeal bread.
HINTS & TIPS
'Lighten up' use wholemeal noodles or pasta. Addional frozen vegatables such as sweetcorn beans and peas can be added in towards ther end of cooking. Serve on its own can be a filling lunch or evening meal
Please click HERE to see Cooking Good’s statement on allergens and substitutions within recipes.
Don’t forget to look at our useful articles on a variety of family topics including batch cooking, leftovers, hydration, fussy eaters and more! Here is the LINK.