A tasty dish to enjoy with any meal or even on its own.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Preparation time is approximately 15 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 45 minutes
1 cauliflower, de-stalked, trimmed and broken into florets
50g plain flour
1 teaspoon of mustard (optional)
100g grated cheese
Salt and pepper
How to make cauliflower Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4 or 160°C for a fan oven).
2. Add the florets to slightly salted boiling water and simmer for 5-10 minutes (don’t let it over boil and go mushy). Strain and place in an oven-proof dish.
3. Meanwhile melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat.
4. Add flour and stir continuously (with a whisk or wooden spoon) for a few minutes. It will look like a paste but keep stirring!
5. Gradually add approx. 100ml of the milk and stir continuously.
6. Gradually add another 100ml of milk and keep stirring! Continue until all milk is added.
7. Add mustard if using.
8. Pour sauce over cauliflower, sprinkle grated cheese over the top and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve immediately as a main or side dish.
HINTS & TIPS
The key to a non-lumpy sauce is to add the milk gradually and keep stirring!
You could add a mix of broccoli and cauliflower for a variation!
Experiment with adding different herbs (once the white sauce is cooked) to give different flavours.
Please click HERE to see Cooking Good’s statement on allergens and substitutions within recipes.
Don’t forget to look at our useful articles on a variety of family topics including batch cooking, leftovers, hydration, fussy eaters and more! Here is the LINK.