Bean Burger with Basil Dressing
Updated: Sep 9, 2021
Makes 4 bean burgers
Preparation time is approximately 10 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 15 minutes
Image credit @jemimawilchphotography
425g can Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste or tomato puree
3 cups (85g) fresh breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon dried thyme or mixed herbs
1 egg, beaten
For the basil dressing
A fresh cucumber 400g plain Greek yogurt 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Pinch of salt
How to make Bean Burgers with Basil Dressing
1. Put the Borlotti beans into a large bowl and mash well with a potato masher or fork. Add the onion, tomato paste, half the breadcrumbs, the thyme/mixed herbs and egg.
2. Season to taste, then gently mix together until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Shape the mixture into four burgers. Coat the outside of each burger with the remaining breadcrumbs. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a large frying pan and fry for 3-4 minutes each side until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
To make the dressing:
1. Wash and then grate the cucumber, lightly squeeze it over a bowl or sink to remove excess water.
2. Combine the yoghurt, basil, garlic, lemon juice and cucumber in a bowl and season.
Serve in warmed flatbreads, tortillas or pittas.
HINTS & TIPS
Add a handful of toasted pine nuts or crushed cashews at stage 2 above if your family like nuts.
Garlic and chilli can be added if desired.
Please click HERE to see Cooking Good’s statement on allergens and substitutions within recipes.
Don’t forget to look at our useful articles on a variety of family topics including batch cooking, leftovers, hydration, fussy eaters and more! Here is the LINK.